Saturday, July 19, 2014

(Review) Butterfly by Ramesh Meyyappan & The Studios


Butterfly was inspired by the tale of Madame Butterfly and directed and acted out by Ramesh Meyyappan, a deaf Singaporean-born, Scotland-based theatre practitioner.

I'm feeling quite pensive right now.
Silence is golden, this production, is beyond gold.

I wanted to review this play a little differently, and boy am I glad I did. I walked in without my notebook and decided to just open my eyes and my heart to what was about to unfold in front of me.

No play has quite made me fear the concept of rape and has allowed me to feel a fraction of the agony and vulnerability that comes along with it. The despair, helplessness, I could feel every strand of it from the emotions of the female protagonist. For which I applaud the talented Ashley Smith for such an outstanding performance. In fact, all the actors were extremely successful in portraying the bits and pieces of emotion from each character and how they all entwine.

I can't fathom what actual victims of rape actually feel.

Symbolism and Imagery is loaded in this play, especially with regard to making kites and catching butterflies; a lot was up to interpretation as a result and the play can mean different things to different people. I really questioned my sense of reality because time and space was something which was greatly manipulated in this play.

I was confused, but to a good degree.
But I did leave the space feeling a little emotionally exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment